Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Perception

Perception n. 1. the mental grasps of objects, etc. 2. insight or intuition 3. the knowledge, etc. gotten by perceiving.

Perception can be a devious thing; people perceive things based on what they think is right. "Right" meaning what their values, morales, and standards are, what they have been led/told/grew up to believe. What they have seen/witnessed, what they feel is "right" in their own heart.

My perception has always been: 1) my choice, my consequences 2) I'm an adult, I can make my own decisions 3) As an adult, my decisions usually upset someone along the line because their perceptions are different 4) Based on my perceptions, I will try hard not to judge other's decisions.

My perceptions lately have been:
-irony
-hypocrisy
-jealousy
-hatred
-prejudice

These perceptions are hard for me to stomach. These are not perceptions I was ever taught as a child. These are perceptions I have learned to deal with as a young adult. These are perceptions that as a Christian I have been taught to forgive and overlook.

But I can't.
They are too many. Too many coming from too many people in my life whom I trusted.
And it makes me sick. Sick because I was made to doubt my own decisions when my original insight (based on my perceptions) was to say "screw you" and do it anyway.

And here I thought I was too old to say "Live and Learn".
I was wrong.
#3 the knowledge, etc. gotten by perceiving.
#3 As an adult, my decisions usually upset someone along the line because their perceptions are different.
Lesson learned.

No comments: