Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Mothers Forget

I know almost everyone has heard the expression "Oh, she just has New Mom brain", or something similar to acknowledge the fact that new moms forget some of the most basic things. And with good reason. Changing poopy diapers, feedings, lack of sleep, and trying to make a new baby happy will zap your brain! And if I remember, I think there have been scientific studies to prove this!

But, I really wish someone would have told me that New Mom Brain never goes away. It just morphs into Middle Aged with Kids Brain. For example let's consider the dinner table. Our dinner table includes the three kids all trying to talk over each other to tell me what went on at school, who needs more milk, who dropped their fork, who doesn't like their green beans, the list goes on. As the kiddos are seeming to get louder and louder, I forget what I'm eating. Even worse, I forget if I have fed the dog or if I had decided to wait until after we are finished eating.

Then there are times when you remember things you only thought you had forgotten. For example let's consider our bathroom. Our bathrooms are both very small. One person is comfortable, add another soul and things start to get tight, add one more and there isn't room left to move. I thought I had forgotten all about wiping butts of potty trainers. Nope, it has all come back in a flash! And now I hope I can forget soon what it is like to wipe a poopy bottom with two other kiddos in the bathroom with us singing the Chugga Chugga Poo Poo cadence!

No comments: