Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Craft Hope for Haiti

When I was a young girl my family went on a trip to Miami Beach Florida. We stayed in one of the fanciest hotels at the time, The Fountain Blue Hilton. My sister and I were in Heaven! The swimming pools were huge and everywhere, you could see the ocean from every angle and there was this really cool water slide that went through the mountain in the middle of the pools. Depending on what pool you wanted to get to, this slide had a chute for it! We loved the beach and the sand and the ocean. You could see sailboats in the distance and with the sailboats came a little fishing boat. The boat seemed even smaller than it was because it was overflowing with people. Haitians. They had sailed over 700 miles to Miami to begin the best game of tag I ever saw. The Coast Guard had a boat nearby trying to keep the Haitians on their boat. People were running trying to get to land, and police were chasing the runners. I remember asking my Mom what was going on and she explained that if the Haitians made it to land they were allowed to stay in the US. If they didn't they had to go home. Even as a young girl I remember feeling such loss and sadness to hear those words. They wanted what we have: Freedom and a chance.

Just like everyone, the images of Haiti's devastation have been heavily on my mind.
I have been wondering what to do, where to send money to, and what I could make to send.

What I have figured out it that I can Pray. Pray for the dead, pray for the injured, pray for the fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters, pray for the rescue workers and pray for the doctors. My prayer is for everyone to endure this devastating time with strength and hope and faith.

My money will be sent to Episcopal Relief and Development. ERD has been working with Haiti for some time now, and had people in the field when the earthquake struck. You can read more about their amazing work HERE.

At this time, there really isn't anything that I can make to send. But I can and will participate in Craft Hope for Haiti. "All proceeds of the Craft Hope Etsy shop will benefit Doctors Without Borders in Haiti. All items have been generously donated by the crafting community. If you'd like to donate an item please visit the Craft Hope website (www.crafthope.com)."

Check out Craft Hope for Haiti and let's all try to pray, send, and make.

No comments: